Zumba is a unique workout, one that has taken the fitness world by storm. Essentially, Zumba is an energetic infusion of Latin-style dances. During a workout, you will shake your hips, you will dance to the pulse of loud music, you will laugh, you will sweat and you will leave a Zumba class feeling energized and refreshed.
Zumba was trademarked in the United States, but it has become a worldwide phenomenon. It is a really fun fitness class that focuses on the workout aspect of dance. Zumba incorporates a wide variety of Latin-style dance moves and techniques and allows focusing less on the details of the dance genre and more on having fun.
Zumba and weight loss
If you are looking to shape up and lose a bit of weight, enrolling in a Zumba class can definitely help. Although Zumba is no magic elixir, the class presents itself in a way that is more appealing to those who do not necessarily enjoy a gym or the treadmill. Zumba allows you to spend an intense hour moving your body, and dancing to really loud, upbeat music with your friends and classmates. Zumba gets the heart rate up, offers a physical challenge and is a great way to start working out. All of these factors combined allow Zumba to put you on a path to shed a few pounds while having a lot of fun.
Zumba as a full body workout
Zumba is a Latin inspired dance fitness class that generally lasts between 60 – 90 minutes. It provides a workout for the entire body. Head and shoulder rolls loosen up the neck and warm the upper body, while the fancy footwork stretches and strengthens the ankles and calves. Hips and abs are well worked through the Latin dance style, and thighs, although sore after a class, will start to become stronger. The mandatory warm-ups and cool-downs and the beginning and end of each Zumba class focus on flexibility, and the energetic class offers so many heart-health benefits. Once you join a class and start moving and shaking, your body’s muscles will awaken and come alive.
The five health benefits of Zumba
Due to the upbeat nature of any Zumba class, you will feel the motivation to keep moving. The music is fast and contagious, and this sensational dance fitness class truly offers so many health benefits including the following:
- Fat and calorie burning – Zumba varies in intensity, but it is an aerobic activity with interval training. Classes are choreographed with Latin-style dance moves and also incorporate a variety of fitness moves including squats, wall push-ups and plyometric jumps. All of this fast-paced movement allows the average person to burn anywhere between 600 to 1,000 calories per class.
- Improved coordination – Zumba’s fast moves and fancy footwork help improve coordination. The more Zumba classes you participate in, the better your coordination will become and this is something that is so important as we start to grow older.
- Aerobic benefits – Reaching your target heart-rate in Zumba is often much easier than in an average workout class at any local gym. The music played in Zumba classes is often at 145 beats per minute, and moving around so quickly begins to feel natural. Zumba classes also help to build stamina and endurance as exercising at this accelerated rate increases the strength of your heart.
- Increased confidence – Zumba allows you to lower your inhibitions through dancing. The dance moves help improve posture and coordination, but most importantly make you feel good. Let’s face it, when you feel good it immediately reflects on your mood and your appearance. A little bit of Latin-style dance can go a really long way in helping you gain better confidence and boost your mood.
- Social benefits – Zumba allows you to meet and interact with like-minded individuals who love to dance. Chances are when you join a Zumba class you will meet a lot of interesting and fun people. The social aspect of Zumba is so important for a fitness class as the nurturing environment will make you want to succeed and boost your Zumba classmates up as well. Many establishments that hold weekly Zumba classes often also have Zumba parties which allow you to invite your friends.
Do you Zumba?
Zumba is the type of workout class where absolutely anyone can join in. Classes are offered at all levels, and if you are a first-time it is quite easy to follow the instructor and jump right into the class. There is not a large learning curve for a Zumba class, instead it is full of music and dance and the sheer thrill and fun of each class is highly infectious.
Zumba in Phuket
Interested in trying Zumba? Here at Santosa Detox & Wellness Center, we offer a variety of Zumba classes including Zumba Toning and Zumba Fitness. Our Zumba teacher is lively and fun, and the dance fitness class lasts for one hour. If you would like to drop in and see what Zumba is all about, a single class is 350THB. More information about Zumba and our other fitness activities can be found by calling +66 (0) 76 330 600 or just fill out the form below. We are looking forward to dancing with you!
Santosa Detox & Wellness Center
+66 (0) 76 330 600
3 Soi Plak Che2, Patak Road, Karon,
Amphoe Muang, Phuket, Thailand, 83130
Full Fast Program
Full fast is a full cleanse program specially designed to enable maximum results. You will have no food / no juice but only drink water with cleanses drinks and nutrition supplements. Participants of this program will be subjected to the most powerful, yet natural, body detoxification processes. This program is suitable for those who have detoxification experience and are determined to go deeper for cleanse. A thorough pre-cleanse is also important for the full fast.
Juice Fast Program
Juice fast is a cleanse program to nourish and detoxify the body by drinking fresh fruits and vegetable juice. The key is to hydrate and nourish your cells with the correct vitamins, enzymes, minerals
Raw Fast Program
Raw food fast brings together nutritional science and holistic therapies. This program is recommended for guests looking for a