What is it about wheatgrass that has us all in such a spin?
At Santosa’s raw food restaurant in Phuket, we think that just about nothing compares in the sheer amount of benefits that this one little shot of emerald goodness provides. Mental sharpness and boundless energy are the most prominent benefits, but did you know about others?
Amongst the several benefits of wheatgrass we can encounter the following:
- Contains vitamins A, B, C, & E, countless minerals including iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, selenium & zinc, up to 20 amino acids, and close to 30 enzymes.
- Neutralizes toxic substances like cadmium, nicotine, strontium, mercury, and polyvinyl chloride.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Protects the liver
- Helps to restore alkalinity
- Reduces inflammation
- Lessens the effect of radiation
- Used topically, is a disinfectant
- Is alleged to turn grey hair back to its natural colour! (though we will believe this when we see it)
Interesting Fact: Wheatgrass has an eerie resemblance to blood! That’s right… chlorophyll (the green pigment in plants) is remarkably similar to hemoglobin, which is responsible for oxygenating our blood. Dr Yoshihide Hagiwara, president of the Hagiwara Institute of Health in Japan, believes that because chlorophyll is soluble in fat particles, and fat particles are absorbed into the blood via our lymphatic systems, that clorophyll is absorbed this way too.
In layman’s terms? When we take the “blood” of plants, it is transformed into human blood, and transports nutrients to every cell in our bodies.
The Santosa team are such wheatgrass enthusiasts, that we actually grow our own on site AND our juice bar serves up the finest wheatgrass shots in town, with a dynamic chili twist!
Just like at Santosa Detox Center, why not start including this superfood in your life?